Saturday, January 23, 2010

Is it safe to use human nail polish to paint my dogs nails?

I've been painting my chihuahua's nails for 2 years and I've used human nail polish mostly and have never had a problem but people have told me its unsafe.Is it safe to use human nail polish to paint my dogs nails?
I have painted my dogs nails as well and have never had any problems. As long as the dog doesnt chew on their nails i dont see why it would hurt them.Is it safe to use human nail polish to paint my dogs nails?
I have done my dogs nails for a long time now myself with human nail polish also. I've never had a problem but if you are concern Iresently came across O.P.I has a dog nail polish line. They don't have that many colors but I'm guessing this would be healthier then just regular polish. If you go to Petedge.com they also have a line of polish and they have WAY more colors.
We take my dog to Petsmart to paint her nails, and we asked them if it is safe to paint her nails with regular nail polish and they said that it probably wont kill her, but they just recommended going to the store and get non toxic washable markers or that window paint stuff ( that is what they use).
Not only are some dogs sensitive to the nail polish but some nail polishes have toxins in them. I dont think it would kill the dog, might not even make them sick, just not healthy. Ask your vet though. You could always check with the groomer too and see what they suggest.
Some dogs are sensitive to the smell of nail polish, and if you have a dog that tends to lick its paws then it wouldn't be a good idea, but if you've been doing this for several years I doubt your dog will suddenly start having a problem with it.
Yes. The nail polish can get annoying to the dog, and it can lick it. Its just like a human licking nail polish, it wouldn't taste good, and the dog can get sick. It's also bad to have a dog smelling the nail polish.
Why are you painting your dogs nails? The fumes are toxic and I am sure your dog does not enjoy the experience. You are putting your dogs health in jeopardy. People who paint their dog's nails are doing it for their own entertainment rather than thinking about the dog.
I would say it's safe only if your dog doesn't chew on a lot of things. Nail polish can be very bad for a dog if it were to eat the nail polish.
Yes its safe
You have a dog! Not a toy

No comments:

Post a Comment